CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – Cumberland dropped a pair of doubles matches but roared back with four straight-set singles wins, posting a 5-2 victory over Tennessee Wesleyan in the quarterfinals of the women’s NAIA Qualifying Tournament here Friday.
The Bulldogs (3-12) next face 18th-ranked Martin Methodist in the semifinals Saturday morning at The Champions Club. Cumberland lost both meetings to the RedHawks this season.
CU started in a bit of a hole, splitting doubles matches at Nos. 2 and 3 before losing the No. 1 match in a tiebreaker.
Cumberland’s Amber Johnson and Lindsey Gaither posted an 8-0 victory at No. 3 over Allie Smith and Spencer Creekmore, but TWC’s Meghan Whaley and Laura Spellacy won by the same score at No. 2 against Tais Lacerda Bezerra and Anita Rácz.
Tennessee Wesleyan took early control of the match with a 9-8 (5) triumph at No. 1, with Beatriz Signori and Zola Enkhbat outlasting Larissa Akari Miura and Courtney Schaub.
The Bulldogs rebounded with three quick singles victories, as Lacerda Bezerra did not give up a game in a victory at No. 5 over Smith, Rácz posted a 6-3, 6-3, triumph at No. 3 against Spellacy and Gaither won 6-1, 6-1, versus Creekmore at No. 6. Akari Miura’s 6-3, 6-2, victory at No. 1 against Signori secured the team win for the Bulldogs.
Cumberland Univ. 5, Tennessee Wesleyan 2
1. Larissa Akari Miura (CU) def. Beatriz Signori (TWC), 6-3, 6-2
2. Courtney Schaub (CU) vs. Zola Enkhbat (TWC), 5-7, 1-1, DNF
3. Anita Rácz (CU) def. Laura Spellacy (TWC), 6-3, 6-3
4. Amber Johnson (CU) vs. Meghan Whaley (TWC), 6-4, 0-6, DNF
5. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU) def. Allie Smith (TWC), 6-0, 6-0
6. Lindsey Gaither (CU) def. Spencer Creekmore (TWC), 6-1, 6-1
1. Signori-Enkhbat (TWC) def. Akari Miura-Schaub (CU), 9-8 (5)
2. Whaley-Spellacy (TWC) def. Lacerda Bezerra-Rácz (CU), 8-0
3. Johnson-Gaither (CU) def. Smith-Creekmore (TWC), 8-0
Order of Finish: Doubles – 3, 2, 1; Singles – 5, 3, 6, 1