CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – Martin Methodist won six of the final seven games to post a victory at No. 1 doubles and then posted three straight-set wins in singles, as the 18th-ranked RedHawks defeated Cumberland, 5-2, Saturday in the semifinals of the Women’s NAIA Qualifying Tournament.
The Bulldogs (3-14) ended the season with their third loss to Martin Methodist (14-5).
Martin Methodist took an early 2-1 edge with a pair of doubles victories, but Cumberland tied the match with a singles win at No. 4 by Amber Johnson, only to watch MMC win the next three singles outings for the 5-2 triumph.
Anastasia Alescheva and Stanford won 8-1 at No. 2 doubles for the RedHawks over Tais Lacerda Bezerra and Anita Rácz, but Cumberland looked to be in control of the other two matches.
Courtney Schaub and Larissa Akari Miura got two early breaks at No.1 against Paloma Cortina and Maria Charrys, but the MMC duo broke at 4-6 and two more times en route to a 9-7 victory.
At No. 3 Johnson and Lindsey Gaither jumped early and staved off Mikaela Long and Rachel Wolfe, 9-7.
Johnson’s 6-0, 6-2, win at No. 4 tied the match at two, but Wolfe posted a 6-0, 6-0, victory versus Gaither at No. 6. Long defeated Lacerda Bezerra, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 5 and Charrys’ 6-3, 6-3, triumph at No. 3 over Rácz finished off the victory for Martin Methodist.
#18 Martin Methodist 5, Cumberland Univ. 2
1. Paloma Cortina (MMC) vs. Larissa Akari Miura (CU), 6-7 (3), DNF
2. Anastasia Alescheva (MMC) vs. Courtney Schaub (CU), 4-6, 2-3
3. Maria Charrys (MMC) def. Anita Rácz (CU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Amber Johnson (CU) def. Jeanna Stanford (MMC), 6-0, 6-2
5. Mikaela Long (MMC) def. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Rachel Wolfe (MMC) def. Lindsey Gaither (CU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Cortina-Charrys (MMC) def. Akari Miura-Schaub (CU), 9-7
2. Alescheva-Stanford (MMC) def. Lacerda Bezerra-Rácz (CU), 8-1
3. Johnson-Gaither (CU) def. Long-Wolfe (MMC), 9-7
Order of Finish: Doubles – 2, 1, 3; Singles – 4, 6, 5, 3