LEBANON, Tenn. – The University of the South swept all three doubles and all six singles matches, defeated Cumberland, 9-0, in women’s tennis action Thursday in Sewanee, Tenn.
Cumberland (0-1) dropped its opening match of the season against the 17th-ranked Tigers.
In doubles Jenny Liles and Bronte Goodhue defeated Courtney Schaub and Alena Gizdić, 8-0, at No. 1 and Elizabeth Lucas and Mary Taylor Tepper won by the same score at No. 3 over Tais Lacerda Bezerra and Lindsey Gaither. Anne Garland and Michelle Flume posted an 8-0 triumph at No. 2 against Anita Rácz and Abby Wilson.
In singles the Tigers won all six matches in straight sets.
Liles defeated Schaub, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 1, while Bronte posted a 6-1, 6-1, victory against Gizdić at No. 2 and Lucas won the closest match of the day with a 6-4, 6-3, victory versus Rácz at No. 3. Flume defeated Lacerda Bezerra, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 4 and Tepper posted a win by the same score at No. 6 against Gaither, while Garland recorded a 6-1, 6-0, victory at No. 5 versus Wilson.
Cumberland does not play again until March 4 against Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Fla., and will take on Webber International and Hillsborough Community College while on Spring Break as well.
#17 Univ. of the South 9, Cumberland Univ. 0
1. Jenny Liles (SEW) def. Courtney Schaub (CU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Bronte Goodhue (SEW) def. Alena Gizdić (CU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Elizabeth Lucas (SEW) def. Anita Rácz (CU), 6-4, 6-3
4. Michelle Flume (SEW) def. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Anne Garland (SEW) def. Abby Wilson (CU), 6-1, 6-0
6. Mary Taylor Tepper (SEW) def. Lindsey Gaither (CU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Liles-Goodhue (SEW) def. Schaub-Gizdić (CU), 8-0
2. Garland-Flume (SEW) def. Rácz-Wilson (CU), 8-1
3. Lucas-Tepper (SEW) def. Lacerda Bezerra-Gaither (CU), 8-0