LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland posted a pair of doubles victories and freshman Abby Wilson won the deciding match in three sets in singles, helping Cumberland to a 5-4 victory Friday over the University of the Cumberlands at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
Cumberland (4-6) won its fourth straight match and its second by a 5-4 margin after a victory by the same score over Alabama-Huntsville this past Sunday.
The Bulldogs started with a pair of doubles victories, as Alena Gizdić and Tais Lacerda Bezerra defeated Shelby Muff and Kaitlin Smith, 8-1, at No. 2 and Lindsey Gaither and Wilson posted an 8-5 win at No. 3 against Kaitlin Daugherty and Lindsay Collette. UC’s Neesha Thirumalaichelvam and Erin Hart recorded an 8-1 triumph at No. 1 over Courtney Schaub and Anita Rácz.
Thirumalaichelvam defeated Schaub, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 1 singles, but Gizdić won 6-0, 6-1, at No. 2 over Muff and Rácz claimed a 6-3, 6-1, victory at No. 3 versus Smith, giving CU a 4-2 edge. But Collette recorded a 6-3, 6-4, win at No. 4 over Lacerda Bezerra and Daugherty posted a 6-4, 6-2, triumph at No. 6 against Gaither, leaving everything up to Wilson at No. 5. The Gallatin, Tenn., native outlasted Hart, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5, for the team victory.
Cumberland plays its next five matches away from home, starting Tuesday at Lindsey Wilson at 1 p.m.
Cumberland Univ. 5, Univ. of the Cumberlands 4
1. Neesha Thirumalaichelvam (UC) def. Courtney Schaub (CU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Alena Gizdić (CU) def. Shelby Muff (UC), 6-0, 6-1
3. Anita Rácz (CU) def. Kaitlin Smith (UC0, 6-3, 6-1
4. Lindsay Collette (UC) def. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Abby Wilson (CU) def. Erin Hart (UC), 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
6. Kaitlin Daugherty (UC) def. Lindsey Gaither (CU), 6-4, 6-2
1. Thirumalaichelvam-Hart (UC) def. Schaub-Rácz (CU), 8-1
2. Gizdić-Lacerda Bezerra (CU) def. Muff-Smith (UC), 8-1
3. Gaither-Wilson (CU) def. Daugherty-Collette (UC), 8-5