NORCROSS, Ga. – Cumberland lost the No. 2 doubles match late and was unable to stave off defeat in singles, falling 5-0 to 17th-ranked Martin Methodist in the semifinals of the NAIA Qualifying Tournament here Saturday at The Racquet Club of the South.
With the loss Cumberland’s season ends with a 6-10 overall record, 2-2 in the TranSouth Conference with both losses against the RedHawks (11-3).
In doubles MMC’s Rachel Wolfe and Viktoria Ryjak defeated Lindsey Gaither and Abby Wilson, 8-1, at No. 3 before Paloma Cortina and Anastasia Alescheva posted an 8-2 victory at No. 1 over Courtney Schaub and Anita Rácz.
CU’s Tais Lacerda Bezerra and Alena Gizdić were on serve at 7-all before a pair of double faults led to a break by the RedHawks and eventually a 9-7 triumph for MMC and a 3-0 edge in the match.
In singles Ryjak defeated Wilson, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 4, but the other three singles matches took much longer. Schaub eventually succumbed in her final collegiate match at No. 1 to Paloma, 6-1, 6-4. Gizdić split sets with Charrys at No. 2 and led 3-2 in the third and Rácz lost the first set but was ahead, 5-4, in the second against Alescheva. The match at No. 5 between Stanford and Lacerda Bezerra had just started.
#17 Martin Methodist 5, Cumberland University 0
1. (47) Paloma Cortina (MMC) def. Courtney Schaub (CU), 6-1, 6-4
2. Maria Charrys (MMC) vs. Alena Gizdić (CU), 6-4, 1-6, 2-3, DNF
3. Anastasia Alescheva (MMC) vs. Anita Rácz (CU), 6-3, 4-5, DNF
4. Viktoria Ryjak (MMC) vs. Abby Wilson (CU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Jeanna Stanford (MMC) vs. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU), 3-2, DNF
6. Rachel Wolfe (MMC) vs. Lindsey Gaither (CU), DNS
1. (25) Cortina-Alescheva (MMC) def. Schaub-Rácz (CU), 8-2
2. Charrys-Stanford (MMC) def. Gizdić-Lacerda Bezerra (CU), 9-7
3. Wolfe-Ryjak (MMC) def. Wilson-Gaither (CU), 8-1
Order of Finish – Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,1*)