LEBANON, Tenn. – Angelica Sepulveda won her singles and doubles matches but that was all Cumberland could manage in a season-opening 6-1 loss Friday night against Belmont at Westside Tennis Club in Nashville, Tenn.
Sepulveda, a freshman from Bucamaranga, Colombia, defeated Belmont’s Nikki Maciel, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 1 singles and Sepulveda and Alena Gizdić posted an 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles over Maciel and Fabiana Mersan. But the Bruins won the remaining seven matches in the dual matches for the victory.
Carolyn Caire and Sandra Kancheva defeated CU’s Anita Rácz and Tais Lacerda Bezerra, 8-2, at No. 2 and Natalia Nunes and Catherine Holliday recorded an 8-1 triumph at No. 3 versus Sandra Munoz and Antea Dedić.
In singles Holliday won 6-3, 6-1, over Gizdić at No. 2, Caire posted a 6-0, 6-2, decision over Rácz at No. 3 and Nunes registered a 6-3, 6-3, victory at No. 4 versus Dedić. Kancheva posted a 6-0, 6-0, win at No. 5 against Munoz and Erika Marschall recorded a 6-2, 6-1, triumph at No. 6 over Bezerra.
Cumberland plays at long-time rival Bethel University on Wednesday at 1 p.m. and opens the home schedule February 27 versus Martin Methodist.
Belmont Univ. 6, Cumberland Univ. 1
1. Angelica Sepulveda (CU) def. Nikki Maciel (BEL), 6-2, 6-3
2. Catherine Holliday (BEL) def. Alena Gizdić (CU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Carolyn Caire (BEL) def. Anita Rácz (CU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Natalia Nunes (BEL) def. Antea Dedić (CU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Sandra Kancheva (BEL) def. Sandra Munoz (CU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Erika Marschall (BEL) def. Tais Lacerda Bezerra (CU), 6-2, 6-1
1. Sepulveda-Gizdić (CU) def. Fabiana Mersan-Maciel (BEL), 8-4
2. Caire-Kancheva (BEL) def. Rácz-Bezerra (CU), 8-2
3. Nunes-Holliday (BEL) def. Munoz-Dedić (CU), 8-1