LEBANON, Tenn. – Freshman Franki Jecker won the final three games in the final match on the court and Cumberland posted victories in five of the six contested outings, prevailing 5-4 over Campbellsville University in women’s tennis action Wednesday at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
The Bulldogs (6-7, 2-3 Mid-South) had just four players available for the match due to an injury to senior Tais Lacerda Bezerra, meaning CU defaulted three matches to the Tigers – No. 3 doubles and Nos. 5 and 6 singles.
Cumberland’s Antea Dedić and Alena Gizdić posted an 8-1 win at No. 1 doubles over Megan Charity and Haley Dallas, but Campbellsville’s Gleidys Salazar and Jenna Sallee outlasted Angelica Sepulveda and Jecker, 7-5, in the tiebreaker at No. 2 doubles, giving the Tigers a 4-1 lead as singles outings began.
Sepulveda registered a 6-3, 6-3, victory against Megan Charity at No. 1 singles before Gizdić recorded a 6-2, 7-5, win at No. 2 versus Salazar. Dedić’s 6-0, 2-6, 6-0, triumph at No. 3 over Sallee left Jecker and Lindy Charity in the final match.
Jecker won a 7-4 tiebreaker in the first set, but Charity broke her at 3-all in the second and looked poised to send the match to a deciding final set, but Jecker rebounded, breaking Charity twice and winning the final three games for a 7-6, 6-4, victory.
Cumberland plays at home twice more this week, taking on Bluefield College on Thursday and the University of Pikeville on Saturday before traveling to Shawnee State on Monday to end the regular season.
Cumberland Univ. 5, Campbellsville Univ. 4
1. Angelica Sepulveda (CU) def. Megan Charity (CAMP), 6-3, 6-3
2. Alena Gizdić (CU) def. Gleidys Salazar (CAMP), 6-2, 7-5
3. Antea Dedić (CU) def. Jenna Sallee (CAMP), 6-0, 2-6, 6-0
4. Franki Jecker (CU) def. Lindy Charity (CAMP), 7-6 (4), 6-4
5. Haley Dallas (CAMP) won by default
6. Kelsie Peckham (CAMP) won by default
1. Dedić-Gizdić (CU) def. M. Charity-Dallas (CAMP), 8-1
2. Salazar-Sallee (CAMP) def. Jecker-Sepulveda (CU), 9-8 (5)
3. L. Charity-Peckham (CAMP) won by default
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,1,2,3,4)