LEBANON, Tenn. – Angelica Sepulveda and Tarsha de Souza won their No. 1 doubles match but Belmont posted wins in the other two doubles outings and all six singles matches for a 7-0 victory over Cumberland in women’s tennis action Friday night at Brentwood Swim & Tennis Club in Nashville, Tenn.
Sepulveda and de Souza, ranked No. 2 nationally in the NAIA, posted a 6-4 win at No. 1 doubles against Lindsay Whitehead and Kendall Warren. Belmont’s Mical Johnson and Laura Van Eeckhoudt defeated Franki Jecker and Sarah Edwards, 6-3, at No. 2 and the Bruins won by default at No. 3 to take the doubles point.
In singles Whitehead claimed a 6-1, 6-1, victory at No. 1 versus Sepulveda, while Warren defeated de Souza, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 2 and Van Eeckhoudt registered a 6-0, 6-0, triumph at No. 3 over Jasmine Shankar.
Suzanne Stapler recorded a 6-1, 6-3, win at No. 4 versus Edwards and Ann Lauren Fiepke defeated Jecker, 8-6, at No. 5.
Cumberland heads to the Green and Gold Invitational next weekend in Lawrenceville, Ga., facing Middle Georgia State on Friday at 11 a.m. Central Time.
Belmont 7, Cumberland Univ. 0
1. Lindsey Whitehead (BEL) def. Angelica Sepulveda (CU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Kendall Warren (BEL) def. Tarsha de Souza (CU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Laura Van Eeckhoudt (BEL) def. Jasmine Shankar (CU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Suzanne Stapler (BEL) def. Sarah Edwards (CU), 6-1, 6-3
5. Ann Lauren Fiepke (BEL) def. Franki Jecker (CU), 8-6
6. Maddie Gilley (BEL) won by default
1. Sepulveda-de Souza (CU) def. Whitehead-Warren (BEL), 6-4
2. Mical Johnson-Van Eeckhoudt (BEL) def. Jecker-Edwards (CU), 6-3
3. Gilley-Stapler (BEL) won by default