LEBANON, Tenn. – Angelica Sepulveda posted a straight-set win at No. 1 singles, but third-ranked Lindsey Wilson swept the doubles and won the remaining five singles outings in an 8-1 victory over 14th-ranked Cumberland in women’s tennis action Friday in Columbia, Ky.
The Blue Raiders started by taking all three doubles matches, with Fiona Curty and Jessica King defeating Trinidad Aguirre and Jasmine Shankar, 8-2, at No. 2. Alexandra Shchipakin and Maria del Mar Prados won 8-4 at No. 3 against Sarah Edwards and Franki Jecker before Natalia Kattah and Henar Munoz gave second-ranked Sepulveda and Tarsha de Souza, 9-7, at No. 1.
LWC’s 18th-ranked King registered a 6-2, 6-2, win at No. 3 versus Aguirre and Shchipakin defeated de Souza, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 2 before 14th-ranked Sepulveda picked up CU’s only point of the match with a 6-4, 7-5, victory at No. 1 over Munoz.
Curty, ranked 31st nationally, recorded a 6-1, 6-2, win at No. 4 over Shankar, while del Mar Prados defeated Jecker by the same score at No. 5 and Gabriella Pedroza won 8-1 at No. 6 against Edwards.
Cumberland takes on William Woods University on Monday at 10 a.m. and Auburn Montgomery on Wednesday at 12:30 p.m., both at home at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts.
#3 Lindsey Wilson 8, #14 Cumberland Univ. 1
1. #14 Angelica Sepulveda (CU) def. Henar Munoz (LWC), 6-4, 7-5
2. Alexandra Shchipakin (LWC) def. Tarsha de Souza (CU), 6-1, 6-2
3. #18 Jessica King (LWC) def. Trinidad Aguirre (CU), 6-2, 6-2
4. #31 Fiona Curty (LWC) def. Jasmine Shankar (CU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Maria del Mar Prados (LWC) def. Franki Jecker (CU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Gabriella Pedroza (LWC) def. Sarah Edwards (CU), 8-1
1. Natalia Kattah-Munoz (LWC) def. #2 Sepulveda-de Souza (CU), 9-7
2. Curty-King (LWC) def. Aguirre-Shankar (CU), 8-2
3. Shchipakin-del Mar Prados (LWC) def. Jecker-Edwards, 8-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,2,1,4,5,6)