LEBANON, Tenn. – Ainhoa Garjio Garrido posted a singles victory in straight sets and won her doubles match with Franki Jecker, but Tennessee State claimed the doubles point and the remaining singles outings in a 6-1 victory over Cumberland in women’s tennis action Thursday at Hadley Park in Nashville, Tenn.
Garjio Garrido and Jecker collected a 6-1 doubles win at No. 1 over Taylor Patterson and Ashia Jones, but Tennessee State posted victories in the other two doubles outings.
Pragati Natraj and Abhilasha Vishwanath defeated Sarah Edwards and Marta Ferrando Pea, 6-2, at No. 2 and Ani Popiashvili and Phyllicia Hemphill blanked Jasmine Shankar and Beleń Salazar Yańez at No. 3.
In singles Garjio Garrido claimed the only victory for the Phoenix (0-2) with a 6-0, 6-4, decision at No. 2 over Patterson. TSU’s Popiashvili defeated Ferrando Pea, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 3 and Vishwanath won 6-0, 6-2, versus Shankar at No. 4.
Jones posted a 6-3, 6-2, win at No. 4 versus Jecker, Natraj defeated Salazar Yańez, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 5 and Hemphill registered a 6-2, 6-2, victory at No. 6 over Edwards.
Cumberland plays again Friday at Belmont at 5 p.m.
Tennessee State 6, Cumberland Univ. 1
1. Ani Popiashvili (TSU) def. Marta Ferrando Pea (CU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Ainhoa Garjio Garrido (CU) def. Taylor Patterson (TSU), 6-0, 6-4
3. Abhilasha Vishwanath (TSU) def. Jasmine Shankar (CU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Ashia Jones (TSU) def. Franki Jecker (CU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Pragati Natraj (TSU) def. Beleń Salazar Yańez (CU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Phyllicia Hemphill (TSU) def. Sarah Edwards (CU), 6-2, 6-2
1. Jecker-Garjio Garrido (CU) def. Patterson-Jones (TSU), 6-1
2. Natraj-Vishwanath (TSU) def. Edwards-Ferrando Pea (CU), 6-2
3. Popiashvili-Hemphill (TSU) def. Shankar-Salazar Yańez (CU), 6-0