LEBANON, Tenn. – Cumberland picked up wins at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles Ainhoa Garijo Garrido, Joana Bou and Stefanie Navaratnam each posted singles victories, including the clinching point from the freshman Navaratnam, in a 5-4 victory over Union College in women’s tennis action Friday in Harrogate, Tenn.
Cumberland (1-0) opened the dual match season with the win and takes on NCAA Division II institutions King University and host Lincoln Memorial on Saturday.
Union began the match with an 8-1 victory at No. 1 doubles, with Isidora Petkovic and Ljiljana Pajcin defeating Jasmine Shankar and Ana Marĩa Collazos, but the Phoenix took a 2-1 lead in the overall match with a pair of 8-2 victories at the last two doubles spot.
Garijo Garrido and Bou posted the win at No. 2 over Christina Schoener and Alina Schweizer and Marianela Landi and Navaratnam collected the victory at No. 3 versus Kacie Dotson and Erika Broady.
Pajcin helped the Bulldogs (1-1) even the match with a 7-5, 6-0, win at No. 2 against Shankar, but 14th-ranked Garijo Garrido outlasted 12th-ranked Petkovic at No. 1, 6-1, 1-6, 7-5.
Union squared the match once again with a 6-3, 4-6, 6-1, victory by Schoener at No. 3 against Landi before Bou claimed a 6-1, 6-0, win at No. 4. Navaratnam finished off the opening triumph with a 6-2, 6-1, victory at No. 6 versus Broady. Union’s Schweizer posted the final point with a 7-5, 7-5, win at No. 5 over Collazos.
Cumberland University 5, Union College 4
1. #14 Ainhoa Garijo Garrido (CU) def. #12 Isidora Petkovic (Union), 6-1, 1-6, 7-5
2. Ljiljana Pajcin (Union) def. Jasmine Shankar (CU), 7-5, 6-0
3. Christina Schoener (Union) def. Marianela Landi (CU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
4. Joana Bou (CU) def. Brittany Lamb (Union), 6-1, 6-0
5. Alina Schweizer (Union) def. Ana Marĩa Collazos (CU), 7-5, 7-5
6. Stefanie Navaratnam (CU) def. Erika Broady (Union), 6-2, 6-1
1. Petkovic-Pajcin (Union) def. Shankar-Collazos (CU), 8-1
2. Garijo Garrido-Bou (CU) def. Schoener-Schweizer (Union), 8-2
3. Landi-Navaratnam (CU) def. Kacie Dotson-Broady (Union), 8-2
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,3,4,6,5)