LEBANON, Tenn. – Fifth-ranked Lindsey Wilson won all three doubles, one in a tiebreaker, and recorded two singles victories in a 5-0 win over 20th-ranked Cumberland in the semifinals of the Mid-South Conference Women’s Tennis Championships on Saturday afternoon in Bowling Green, Ky.
The Blue Raiders (11-2) started with an 8-0 doubles win by 21st-ranked Jovana Peric and Minja Gligic at No. 1 over Ana María Collazos and Belén Salazar Yañez. LWC’s Chiara Epifani and Fiona Curty outlasted CU’s Ainhoa Garijo Garrido, 9-8 (5) at No. 2 and Lindsey Wilson took a 3-0 lead in the match with an 8-5 triumph at No. 3, with Lucia Mora Diaz and Lina Sachica Ramos defeating Marianela Landi and Stefanie Navaratnam.
Peric, ranked 18th nationally in singles, won 6-1, 6-2, over Landi at No. 2 and Sachica Ramos finished off the match with a 6-0, 6-0, victory at No. 4 against Collazos. Curty and Gabriella Pedroza were both within a game of ending their matches as well for the Blue Raiders.
Garijo Garrido was the only Phoenix player in the lead when the match was stopped, taking the first set, 7-5, over Gligic.
#5 Lindsey Wilson 5, Cumberland University 0
1. #36 Minja Gligic (LWC) vs. #14 Ainhoa Garijo Garrido (CU), 5-7, DNF
2. #18 Jovana Peric (LWC) def. Marianela Landi (CU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Fiona Curty (LWC) vs. Belén Salazar Yañez (CU), 6-1, 5-3, DNF
4. Lina Sachica Ramos (LWC) def. Ana María Collazos (CU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Lucia Mora Diaz (LWC) vs. Joana Bou (CU), 6-3, 1-3, DNF
6. Gabriella Pedroza (LWC) vs. Stefanie Navaratnam (CU), 6-2, 5-0, DNF
1. #21 Peric-Gligic (LWC) def. Collazos-Salazar Yañez (CU), 8-0
2. Chiara Epifani-Curty (LWC) def. Garijo Garrido-Bou (CU), 9-8 (5)
3. Mora Diaz-Sachica Ramos (LWC) def. Landi-Navaratnam (CU), 8-5
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,4)