LEBANON, Tenn. – Belmont swept the doubles and won all six singles outings in straight sets in a 7-0 victory over Cumberland in women’s tennis action Saturday night in Nashville, Tenn.
After playing four exhibition matches against OVC opponents, the 18th-ranked Phoenix open the regular season this Tuesday against Tennessee Wesleyan at 1 p.m. at the Tommy Gray Memorial Courts on the CU campus.
The Bruins (5-4) posted three wins in doubles, starting with Maria Plaksina and Terra Sheldon with a 6-0 victory over Marianela Landi and Ana María Collazos at No. 2 Drew Hawkins and Peyton Lee recorded a 6-2 triumph at No. 1 against Jessica Hernandez and Ainhoa Garijo Garrido and Mical Johnson and Sarah Brackin collected a 6-4 win at No. 3 versus Kylie Humphrey and Stefanie Navaratnam.
In singles Hawkins defeated Hernandez, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 1 and Lee registered a 6-2, 7-5, victory at No. 2 against Garijo Garrido. Erin Allen won 6-2, 6-4, versus Landi at No. 3 while Sheldon tallied a 6-0, 6-1, victory at No. 4 against Humphrey.
Lauren Carelli defeated Navaratnam, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 5 and Nikki Christiansen recorded a 6-2, 6-0, victory at No. 6 against Collazos.
Belmont University 7, Cumberland University 0
1. Drew Hawkins (BEL) def. Jessica Hernandez (CU), 6-3, 6-2
2. Peyton Lee (BEL) def. Ainhoa Garijo Garrido (CU), 6-2, 7-5
3. Erin Allen (BEL) def. Marianela Landi (CU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Terra Sheldon (BEL) def. Kylie Humphrey (CU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Lauren Carelli (BEL) def. Stefanie Navaratnam (CU), 6-1, 6-4
6. Nikki Christiansen (BEL) def. Ana María Collazos (CU), 6-2, 6-0
1. Hawkins-Lee (BEL) def. Hernandez-Garijo Garrido (CU), 6-2
2. Maria Plaksina-Sheldon (BEL) def. Landi-Collazos (CU), 6-0
3. Mical Johnson-Sarah Brackin (BEL) def. Humphrey-Navaratnam (CU), 6-4